Wednesday 19 December 2007

Day 61



It´s day 61 and finally, absolutely, the last real day of my trip. I´m back in Santiago after flying 1,000 miles over the Andes from Punta Arenas last night.

I pop my head outdoors and it´s sweltering, 30C or so by the middle of the day, clear blue skies and a seriously hot summer sun (those in the UK probably didn´t want to hear that...)

After not doing so very much here last week I feel a bit obliged to spread my wings a little further. So after fortifying myself with breakfast at Bonafide, definitely the best coffee shop I´ve found in central Santiago, I head off to Bellavista district and the funicular up to the statue of virgin Mary and a view out over the city. In the afternoon there´s time for some last minute shopping - including for Pisco so I can make the Sours over Christmas - before heading back to Bellavista to meet up with Sarah and Andy for last dinner and the odd drink before I head home and they move on to LA (they are also doing a RTW trip but are only half way round and going the other way). I had meant to get a taxi back to the hotel but it´s so warm out I walk the half hour or so back in shirtsleeves at midnight, in the knowledge this probably won´t be possible back in the UK for a while. Grab Hotel Espana´s free internet to update the blog, then head for bed with just a few hours before taxi due to arrive to take me to the airport and start the 24 hours home. Though I can't quite put my finger on why, I've ended up quite affectionate towards this place.

2 comments:

Carolyn Shoosmith said...

How does it feel to have finished your trip? Its about 1 degree in Richmond, just to warn you. Your lot of gone for Clegg; a "clog hopper" not like nifty Vince; out there with Aleysha

Unknown said...

I look forward to the continuation of these blogs from home in the UK...

Speak soon.